The Upper Valley Fencing Club provides ability‐appropriate challenges for fencers with a broad range of experience. Communal improvement of form, technique and skills is the primary focus during the formal programmed foil portion of each session, leading to open fencing in all three weapons in the latter part. Lessons are offered throughout the year in sessions aligned with the Norwich Recreation Department’s schedule.
Spring session May 7 through June 27. NO CLASS May 2nd.
Please note that the UVFC schedule is independent of school systems vacation weeks. All evenings we do not meet, except for weather related issues, are listed here.
Days & Times: Mondays & Wednesdays; We open the gym at 5:30 pm for a warm up with a game of floor hockey. Instruction for beginners and other interested fencers is from 6 pm ‐ 7 pm & open fencing for intermediate and advanced fencers 7 pm‐ 8:30 pm
Ages & Levels: 10 years & up, all levels of fencers; classes are appropriate for both kids and adults. Accommodation for several younger students is possible—contact Paul Horak (802-649‐3735) or Ralph Hoehn (UpperValleyFencingClub@gmail.com).
- Residents: $122 two days per week, $77 one day per week.
- Non‐Residents: $137 two days per week, $87 one day per week.
- Additional family members are 1/2 price, but payment must be made by check
(Contact Jill @ 802‐649‐1419 x 5 for this discount & click “pay by check” when registering online). Equipment: All members, except for beginner/trial fencers, must provide their own equipment. Those who wish to fence “on the box” must have their own gear & electric weapons.
All participants must also join the United States Fencing Association (USFA) to comply with insurance requirements. The rule is: “If the participant is enrolled in a fencing class or activity beyond a seven day time trial lesson, they must become an individual member of USA Fencing for the club to have insurance coverage under the USA Fencing policy.” A Non-Competitive membership is $10 per year; other options are also available if you wish to compete. You can sign up for membership online. You will need to establish an account with USA Fencing in order to sign up for a membership.
Please register online at norwichvtus.sportssignup.com/site. Payment may be made by credit card or check. If paying by check, please make it out to: “TOWN OF NORWICH ‐ RECREATION” and mail to:
P.O. Box 1137
Norwich, VT 05055
If you cannot register online or need help, please call 802-649‐1419 x.109 or stop by the Recreation office.
Check our Guidelines (PDF) online, also. You will be contacted only if a program you sign up for doesn’t run.
What You Should Wear
- Well-fitting, non-slip, flat-soled athletic shoes with non-marking soles should be worn. Many fencing moves require a firm contact with the floor to execute properly.
- To protect our floors, please do NOT wear your fencing shoes to and from Tracy Hall, and keep the soles clean.
- Long, stretchable pants, not excessively baggy or long. Jeans do not allow you to move enough. Shorts do not provide sufficient protection for your legs.
- Comfortable, well-fitting t-shirt. You will eventually need to wear this t-shirt under a fencing jacket; an over-sized shirt will tend to bunch up.